Pauline's Reviews > The Lost Prince

bookshelves: ya, supernatural, romance
Read from August 25 to 29, 2012

My review in French: http://minu.me/6x7r

3,5 - 4 out of 5 stars

I was pretty excited to re enter Julie Kagawa's world of Fey and catch up with Meghan and Ash and what's been going on since The Iron Fey. But the story evolves around a 17 year old Ethan. All grown up and looking good apparently. Despite the fact that his life sucks and is full of danger because of his Sight.

At first, I didn't know how I felt about reading a story about Ethan. I felt so strongly connected to the other characters...I went there anyway but on my toes. How silly was I? Ethan is awesome. He's a good kid despite his lack of social skills and his obvious hatred of the Fey. He's agressive, lonely and scared. His Sight has brought nothing to him but trouble since the Fey mess with him all the time. And there's nothing he can do about it but suck it up and stay away from people he could care about if he allowed himself to have a life.
So, when at this new school, this gorgeous girl Kenzie comes and talks to him, he sends her on her way rather rudely. Good thing though: she's not the kind of girl who takes no for an answer.
Then, when he's dragged into a faery mess, she follows and their entire world will change forever.

The two first parts of the book are fascinating. You meet new characters and you have glimpses of the old ones. You feel both excited at the new possibilities and nostalgic because you miss the old crew. Fortunately, you also get a couple of nice surprises there, so it's all worth it.
The plot is good, though predictible. If you read The Iron Fey, you know who's who and takes the element of surprise out of the reading experience which is too bad. And then, another thing that was quite predictible for me is Kenzie's secret. I was not at all surprised. I think I figured it out by the end of part 1... : /
The pace in part 3 was completely off. It was way too long, the descriptions as well. A couple of scenes should have been shortened or re written in order not to mess with the balance between story and action. Overall, I guess everything had its purpose but still, it dragged on a little bit.

In the end, I really liked this spin-off. It's a promising debut for Call of the forgotten.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Prince.

08/27/2012 page 198
52.0% "It's AMAZING so far!!!!"