Lea's Reviews > The Eleventh Plague

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch

Jul 16, 12

Read from July 13 to 16, 2012

Slight spoilers***

The Eleventh Plauge is about a boy named Stephen Quinn, who is born and raised after the Collapse, a devastation of the entire North American Continent after a war between the United States and China erupted. After chemical warfare is brought into the mix and humankind takes a serious blow, little pockets of people are still alive, some of them travelling between the northern and southern parts of the country during the season changes, some becoming slavers that take survivors as prisoners to do who-knows-what, and some (particularly the ex-military) becoming rampant and set on a killing-frenzy.

I read this book because it was grouped together with the likes of The Hunger Games, Delirium, Divergent, Uglies, The Maze Runner, etc. but I find that it's doesn't really fit with them. I'm not saying this book wasn't good, because I quite enjoyed reading it, but I think that the expectation that I had for it skewed what experience I had when I actually read it.

Instead of being set in a society that has rebuilt itself after an apocalypse and a controlling government emerging and claiming severe control over human lifestyle, with typically a protagonist challenging or changing that lifestyle, this book sets it's time right next to the aftermath of the collapse. It's not about an evil dictatorship that doesn't allow you to love, or makes you fight to the death, or divides you into groups that you must live in. It's about right after, that time of silence, when everything is withering away, and all the people you know are dying, and things like baseball and movie theatres and amusement parks are things you only hear from your PARENTS memories. It's about needing to survive on nothing, through the winter months, where you don't want to run into anyone who isn't your family, because you don't know if they'll either shoot you in the head, or shoot you in the chest three times and let you bleed out.

Stephen's life is all about salvaging whatever he can find. Throughout the story he's faced with having to grow up fast. The character develops shockingly fast with the storyline, but then again, when I reviewed it, the story is only about 250 pages, which seems quite short with the other 400-500 page books. Nevertheless, it tells the story with emotion and decency through the eyes of a person as young as Stephen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eleventh Plague.

07/13/2012 page 96
35.0% "Just started today, but it does seem like the shortest book I have in my pile of to-reads so far. Debating whether or not I'll end up with a finished book at 4am."
07/15/2012 page 164
59.0% "Didn't get as much done today as I would've if I had not been so distracted."
show 1 hidden update…