Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Mistress of the Groom

Mistress of the Groom by Susan Napier

Sep 18, 09

bookshelves: category-contemporary-romance, harlequin-presents, owned-copy, revenge, favorite-or-autobuy-author, favorites, alpha-hero, enemies-to-lovers
Recommended for: Fans of a good revenge/enemies to lovers romance
I own a copy, read count: 3

This is one of my all time favorite Harlequin Presents. It has the elements that I love about this line: passion, revenge, strong personalities clashing in the arena of life, until they fall in love (and bed).

Jane and Ryan are enemies, for numerous reasons. For one thing, he ruins her father and his business (her father destroyed his family many years earlier and he has been biding his time to take his revenge). Also she ruins his wedding to her good friend, by arriving at the wedding and claiming to be his mistress that he's been having an affair with. Her meek friend has fallen in love with another man and is afraid to cry off from the wedding, so Jane steps in to help her at her own expense. After that, daggers are drawn. Ryan destroys Jane's business prospects and pretty much her life, and makes it impossible for her to find a job.

So it's her turn to get revenge. It sounds like a vicious cycle, but the fiery chemistry between them makes this story worth reading. Jane is tall and buxom (I sort of pictured her looking like Lucy Lawless as Xena or Jane Russell (40s-50s pinup girl and actress). Ryan is a big, tall, blue-eyed, black-haired guy who probably looks like a viking except with the dark hair. They make a striking couple.

There are few love scenes, but they are pretty blazing, and the first one definitely has a naughty vibe (you can read if you want to find out what I mean).

This book shows the strength of Napier's writing. She might have a heroine who's temporarily down on her luck, but she's more than a match for the hero as far as intellect, abilities, and personal fortitude. She isn't a pushover, and she's not going to let him treat her like she's beneath him. I also love that she has heroines who may not be model beautiful and have some insecurities about themselves that they might struggle with, but manage to live productive lives otherwise. You get the impression that they would be successful in life, but it's nice to have the love of a good man to complete them. I love her heroes because they are very alpha and somewhat domineering, but equally caring, and not so bullheaded that they cannot come to see the error of their ways or express their love and caring for the heroine. Plus she has a lot of big, muscular, dark hair, light eyed heroes, which I find very attractive. And they are New Zealanders (Not Italian, Greek, or Latin) and not necessarily billionaires. A lot of them are self-made men and/or have very down to earth values and lifestyles, even if they are wealthy. And usually they are very much heroes in pursuit, who go after the heroine who's not the typical immaculate, society beauty that every other man wants (although they are definitely appealing in their own unique way).

I think you'd have to be a fan of Harlequin Presentseque storylines, at least to a mild degree, to like this one. But I happen to love the revenge and powerful desire between enemies theme that is a staple of Harlequin Presents, so this book was a winner for me, especially in Susan Napier's masterful hands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of the Groom.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Danielle!

Saly I love this one as well, no-one writes like Susan Napier.

Saly I so wish she would write another Marlowe book about that rock-star brother, she hasn't had a release in years though I read somewhere that she is still writing.

Have you read all the books by her?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I have a few I haven't read, but I've worked my way through most of her backlist. She's not a prolific author of late, but she's still writing, thankfully.

Saly I have read all of her books, took time but I finally did, she along with Lynne Graham and Michelle Reid are HP authors I've read everything by.
Yeah she is still writing but I want to see her write faster?Btw, have you read Reckless Conduct by her?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I agree. I love Reckless Conduct. This one and Reckless Conduct are my two favorites by her, and definitely in my top fave HPs of all time. Small world!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I love Lynne Graham and Michelle Reid too. Sarah Morgan is another all time fave HP author too.

message 10: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Yes, someone else who loves Reckless Conduct!!!!Some people didn't like it but it along with this one is my fav by her :)Small, world indeed.
Damn we share a lot of the sames tastes. Nice :)
I enjoy Sarah Morgan as well(Sale or return bride is a fav) but one of her latest books I had a problem with, showing the hero with the Other Woman in the first chapter. I didn't even like the heroine.
I also enjoy Sandra Marton and Lucy Monroe.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Which Sarah Morgan was that, Saly?
I like Sandra Marton and Lucy Monroe too. Sandra Marton's heroes are a bit on the too mean side for me at times, though.

message 12: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly I think it was Powerful Greek, Unwordly Wife, not sure with the HP titles.
Mean, maybe the old Sandra Marton's?Do you have any specific book in mind?

message 14: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly I have read the Sheik one, this series by her sucked honestly and I haven't read the latter.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I definitely didn't like this one. I think I liked one of the sheikh books. The guy in Naked in His Arms was practically a woman-terrorizer. I didn't like him at all.

message 16: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Ahh..then I'll add them to the "avoid" list. I really don't want to read a bad book when there are so many good one's out there. Actually I think the book you mentioned was part of some "Uncut" series that Harlequin experimented with.

Ladyacct I would love to know where you are finding these old HP books....would really like to get my hands on a few of the ones you have reviewed!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Mia. We have pretty similar tastes, it seems.

Saly, I liked The Desert Virgin, which has a borderline mean hero. I'm afraid to read the third book in that series in case I dislike it too.

Ladyacct, I have many that I've collected over the years, but I also buy them off Amazon.com. I don't do ebay, but you can actually get deals where you get a whole box of them.

message 19: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Not read Desert Virgin as well which is surprising since I have tried to read her new one's mostly.
But I'm gonna avoid this one as well.

message 21: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Lady Danielle have you read The Bedroom Business by Sandra Marton?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, yes. That's one of my all time favorites of hers. :)

message 23: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Ooh mine as well. Okay, umm have you read Lovescenes by her?It featured an actress I think?
I like her Baron series though not the first book much.

message 25: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly It is pretty old, I was lucky enough to read it from the library. :)

message 27: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Me neither, since I pretty much stay on the out-skirts but well now I usually read ebooks as a result.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I will make trips to the bookstore monthly, but the library not so much, because I have so many books, I feel guilty checking out books when I books at home I need to read.

message 29: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly I envy you then, I don't own that many paperbacks, since we move a lot and already have so much luggage it doesn't make sense to keep so many books, I cherish my JK Rowling and Enid Blyton collection though(some of my mother's old Sidney Sheldon etc as well)

And in my country, they don't really get the romance books much on the shelves, Mills & Boon yes, the others not so much(you'll find Nora Roberts and all plenty but the others not so much).

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I am grateful that we do have some good bookstores in my area. But, I also shop on Amazon.com a lot.

message 31: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly I have never bought from Amazon as I am not sure about their payment method.

message 32: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Great review, Lady D. This one looks like one of the better revenge filled one, LOL! I'll mark it TBR.

message 33: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Sounds like a good one for the June Wedding theme!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Saly, you just create an account for yourself, with your payment info, and when you checkout, it will always prompt for a password to access your account. It's very safe.

Thanks, Lisa. This was a pretty fun revenge read.

message 35: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Thanks Lady Danielle, I have to give it a try soon.

message 37: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan I totally got this thanks to your review, and I loved it :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm glad. One of my all time favorite HPs. Susan Napier is the best HP writer, IMO.

message 39: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan After this I'm definitely going to hunt down more of her books. I heard great things about Secret Admirer, what else of her do you recommend?

Alexis-Morgan Roark Ladyacct - I find MOST of my used books at library and grocery book tables AND the awesome Discount Crown Books in Fallbrook (Woodland Hills, CA).

Alexis-Morgan Roark Lady D - GREAT reveiw! I picked this one up as part of an eBay Lot a while back.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Sorry for the late reply, Alexis. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jan, I've had good luck with all the Susan Napier I've read. Here are my ratings for here:

message 43: by Chrisolu (new)

Chrisolu I love a good revenge romance.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Chrisolu wrote: "I love a good revenge romance."

This is a very good one!