Joel's Reviews > Not the Israel My Parents Promised Me

Aug 20, 2012

it was ok
Recommended for: No one
Read from August 02 to 03, 2012

BOY OH BOY did I want to like this more than I did!

As a 31 year old Jewish man from Ohio who was raised in exactly the kind of Zionist household that Harvey describes, I was excited to explore some of the emotional depth involved in evolving opinions of Israel in response to it's change from a leftist/Marxist dream state in the early part of the 20th century, to one increasingly controlled by right wing religious zealots as it is today.

ALAS! The vast majority of the book is a history of Israel as told by not-historian Harvey Pekar in a fairly non engaging way. The art is lovely for the most part, (though every time I see someone specifically not draw Mohammed in a book it makes me furious! THIS IS A GRAPHIC NOVEL! When you talk about Jews, YOU DRAW JEWS! When you talk about Christians, YOU DRAW CHRISTIANS! FOR GOD'S SAKE'S, WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT MOHAMMED, EFFING DRAW HIM, YOU COWARDS!!)

The artist had one day of conversation and since Harvey is dead, he went ahead and turned it into a book. I understand the motivation and impetus, but it doesn't make it a worthwhile read. Glad it was a library borrow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not the Israel My Parents Promised Me.