Karen Fowler's Reviews > The Witch Is Back

The Witch Is Back by H.P. Mallory

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: witches
Read in July, 2012

Having read this series out of order (book three first, followed by one and two) it took me a minute to get my bearings when I started reading it. That said, even with my mild confusion about how the previous book ended, I was sucked in faster than a penny into a vacuum cleaner.

Jolie is back at the beginning of her story, back in her little fortune telling shop where Book One picked up, ignorant and unaware of the magical things that walk amongst us. And like the start of the series, everything hinges on the magical thing that walks through her lil' shop door. Unlike the first time, that Magic Man is not Rand.

Now, I hesitate to divulge too much of the plot because it certainly was a twist on things and I don't want to spoil all the fun for readers. In the grand scheme of things, I do believe I've fallen into team Sinjin territory over the course of the series so far -- and Mallory must have read my mind. Yum.

That being said, reading The Witch Is Back was a bit like having trippy deja vu (or however you spell that). Some bits felt familiar like an old comfy sweater, while others felt odd in that alternate-universe kind of way. For example, Jolie's BFF (Christa? I'm horrible with names)seemed a lot more randy and foul-mouthed than I remember her. Jolie is more naive than I recall. Sinjin is still Sinjin though, so there's that. :-)

I did have a few nitpicks with the whole time-travelling concept and "rules" which mainly revolve around this book's resolution, but I can't hardly spell them out for fear of spoiling all the fun for anyone reading this.

Overall, I still adore this series and it's characters. In fact, I also have the ARC for Book 5 and devoured that one right after this book. So that should tell you something!

** I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley for review purposes.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch Is Back.