Nipuna's Reviews > The Outlander

The Outlander by Gil Adamson

Jul 11, 2012

Recommended for: people who like to read about the outdoors in contrast to human inner landscapes
Read in June, 2012 , read count: 1

This was an interesting story and it immediately and continually reminded me of Cormac McCarthy's The Road but it was less visually desolate. It was lonely and vast at times but it was in the beauty of nature. The desolation was inside her thoughts. There was a sense of dread the whole time and small flashes of hope and discovery. The end was almost predictable but that's likely because of the author's foreshadowing. Toward the end, there was a part where the widow thinks she's gone deaf and I realized that while there was a lot of visual description, there was a lack of sound descriptions. I noticed this especially during portions of the book where I thought I would hear a lot of noise: like the church pugilism and the corralling the horses parts. But while she described the motions and the actions of the people and horses, I had to imagine my own sounds. I could feel the air and even smell the area but the sounds were left up to my imagination with very few hints from the author. Well written and a good yarn. I won't give a description of my feelings about the end because that would give it away. I would have given 3.5 stars if I could. It's not quite 4 stars to me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outlander.