Amalie 's Reviews > The Silence of the Lambs

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: thriller, womens-studies, mystery-fiction, crime-fiction
Read from July 11 to 17, 2012

Yes, I've seen the movie again and again but still I've alway wanted to read the novel and it did not disappoint me at all!

Normally if the movie is GOOD then the book isn't; if the book is GOOD then the movie just isn't. "The Silence of the Lambs" isn't one of THOSE books.

I tried hard not to hear the voice of Anthony Hopkins while reading this, didn't work, but to be honest, Hannibal Lecter in book is a far darker and a sinister character . He is just pure-evil and despite Mr. Hopkins' brilliant performance and the movie being one of those really good movies, the the novel is still superior and is still gripping despite the familiarity with the story and that doesn't happen a lot when I read the book after watching the movie.

So if you felt like just the movie would do, just try the book. So in short, I highly recommend this!

So why just 4 stars? I found certain part in the novel disturbing like James Gumb/Buffalo Bill's depiction. For me, the movie hasn't nailed him at all as in the novel. Harris is one of those exceptional writers who has these creepy yet amazing ability to get into the minds of freakish, psychopathic serial-killers.

Then I didn't like the final sentence. It's way too obvious, the name of the novel doesn't HAVE TO BE mentioned in the story. It was implied through out, symbolized so, for me, the final sentence was a little over done.

"But the face on the pillow, rosy in the firelight, is certainly that of Clarice Starling , and she sleeps deeply. Should have edited here ...sweetly, in the silence of the lambs"

Highly Recommended ***

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silence of the Lambs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanez (new) - added it

Shanez I too loved the movie and can't even think how Lecter can't be creepier than that! Thanks.