Andrea's Reviews > Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time

Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time by Mignon Fogarty

Jul 11, 12

Read in July, 2012

Even in high school AP English I struggled with the convolutions of the English language. It's a means of expression that seems to be far more intuitive than logical, and modern usage is often frowned upon by the linguistic elite. Between regional dialects and variations between social classes, a person must strive tirelessly to express oneself in a manner that will attract the least amount of criticism. 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master In No Time is a book that makes grammar accessible and far more easy to assimilate than any other book on the subject I've cared to read. I enjoyed that this guide didn't wax loquacious regarding word etiology and used the story of origin to explain why a word or phrase is the way it is rather than as page filler. Though it isn't laugh out loud funny, it evokes enough chuckles and moments of dawning revelation to keep things interesting. Give this as a gift to any student or budding author, or to someone who persists in using the grossly erroneous expression "I could care less."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time.