Jennifer at BookShelfery's Reviews > Fever Moon: The Fear Dorcha

Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: favorites, purchased, urban-fantasy
Read from July 11 to 12, 2012

This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog

NOTE: If you're going into Fever Moon expecting it to be exactly like the books in graphic novel format, or expecting it to be a portion of one of the books in a graphic novel, you will be disappointed. This is not that, it is a whole new beast. Carry on.

REVIEW

If you’ve been following this blog for five minutes, you know my favorite author in the whole wide world is Karen Marie Moning, and that I’ve read the Fever Series a few times over. And oh yeah, that Jericho Z. Barrons is my book boyfriend. Because drool.

When Moning announced on her Facebook page that she would be releasing a graphic novel tied into the Fever Series, I thought, “Really?” I admit, I was a little, tiny bit skeptical. But as the release date drew closer and closer, and some of Al Rio’s artwork was teased on her page here and there, I began to desperately want a graphic novel for the first time ever. WTF was I, a 12-year-old boy?

And so I bought it. When I say I “bought it,” I really mean I tried to do a Barnes & Noble in-store pickup by ordering on the web, but got declined because of “no stock.” Impossible! I had to call them from work and make the sales guy hunt the books down. They weren’t even on display yet! WHAT’S UP WITH THAT, B&N? DON’T YOU KNOW WHO KAREN MARIE MONING IS OR WHAT THIS BOOK MEANS TO ME?!

*fans self*

It was everything I expected AND THEN SOME. In the Fever Series, Mac encounters the Fear Dorcha, an Unseelie Fae who rendered her speechless – and thoughtless – until the DEG* tells him she is not for him and to “look closer.” The Fear Dorcha backs away. Mac questions the DEG, wanting to know more about this Unseelie Fae she’s never seen before, and in true DEG fashion, she’s left with more riddles.

Fever Moon expounds upon that encounter and tells a nice side story of the Fear Dorcha and all it is capable of. It’s quite a satisfying story actually, because as in any other Fever novel, you begin with questions, but with Fever Moon, you actually leave with a lot of concrete answers. Mac and Barrons interact like usual, in the OMG-please-just-go-bone-right-now-and-get-it-over-with, and it’s of course exciting and, well, just thrilling!

The artwork…it’s phenomenal. Al Rio was truly blessed with an amazing gift. His ability to portray Moning’s world – the readers’ world, because surely now, it’s our world, too – was nothing short of amazing. Each sketch, each character, each page was a beautiful rendition of what I envisioned in my head, right now to the church and bedroom scenes. It was so awesome to see these characters come to life from the imaginations of the author and artists. Al Rio and Cliff Richards were able to capture the very heart of the series in that artwork, and it’s something I’m going to cherish forever. God damn, Al Rio, the world is going to miss you.

If you’re a fan of the series, even if you are unsure about graphic novels, you must get this one. It’s a super-fabulous addition to an already exciting series, and I don’t think you’ll regret it. It was nothing short of amazing.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Moon.

07/11/2012 page 85