Wendy's Reviews > Infoquake

Infoquake by David Louis Edelman

Nov 29, 08

bookshelves: sci-fi, 2008-reads

I just finished Infoquake and am trying to decide how I feel about it. On the one hand, it has a very unique worldview, which is what got me interested in the first place. The book is set in a futuristic world where programmers work on code for tiny, ability-enhancing machines inside the human body. The book is filled with a ton of other ideas which were often PKD-like in their presentation - mentioned with limited explanation, very interesting in their own right, yet relegated to lesser importance while still creating a rich backdrop for the story. That's all well and good.

On the other hand, the writing doesn't quite do all these ideas justice. The main character is described like this: "That casually athletic physique, the boyish face that would never know gray, those eyes predictably blue as sapphires..." Ugh. How would a face know (or never know) gray, anyway? While not always this bad, the writing is spotty enough to be distracting. The characters are kinda bland and not very likable. The pacing is off, too; some things are sped through while other moments are belabored. Some things are really built up only to fall very flat. I also didn't like the language randomly scattered throughout the book.

Overall, I feel a bit let down by Infoquake. It's too long, with several of the events and descriptions being repetitive and unnecessary. Because it's the first book in a trilogy, there's no real pay-off at the end. While I was into the story enough to want to know the conclusion, I'm not sure I liked it enough to spend time plowing through two more books just to see how it ends up. As an intro to a larger series, the book fails for me. On its own, it was an interesting yet ultimately disappointing read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infoquake.