Crista's Reviews > The Great Escape

The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

3194546
Jul 17, 12

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, hot, lol, series, tortured-heroes, tortured-heroines
Read from July 11 to 15, 2012

After being somewhat disappointed in the last few SEP releases, I am happy to say that the SEP that I know and love is back with this one! It has all her trademark humor, memorable scenes, and quirky characters. It was incredible from beginning to end, and for those who have grown weary from her past couple of realeases...give this one a chance!

There are three main story lines in this book. Had I loved all of these charaters/stories, this would've been a 5 star read, but unfortunately one of them really disinterested me, and therefore I had to take off one star.

Lucy Jorik and Patrick Shade aka "Panda"
These characters were the best part of this book. My only complaint is that they had to share pages with others. They lit up the pages with their combustible chemistry and I loved their bickering that had such heated undertones. Panda is a tormented hero (my favorite kind of hero), and I fell for him hook, line, and sinker. I have also loved Lucy since she first appeared in First Lady, and her transformation in this book was funny and understandable. I eagerly awaited the pages where she and Panda interacted. Their scenes are some of the best pages I've read all summer.

Mike Moody, Bree, and Toby
This "making of a family" story was heartwarming and also a highlight of this book. I love a couple with a past, and Bree and Mike fit this description. Toby is a little boy that so desperately needed love and acceptance. Watching these three people learn to love one another was absolutely magical.

Temple
I really couldn't stand this character and her part in this book took something away from it (in my humble opinion). First of all, because she lived with Panda and Lucy, she frankly got in the way of some "one on one" interactions that may have happened between Lucy and Panda. I disliked her personality and her many issues. The end of her story seemed contrived, and I hate when books push agendas....which Temple's story does. This was irritating and took away some of the magic of this story.

Overall...this book is quite amazing. I will revisit this book again, and that is saying something as I have a mountain of books that have never been read! This is trademark SEP, and that means you will laugh, be entertained, and perhaps shed a few happy tears. Pure enjoyment and Highly Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Escape.

07/11/2012 page 1
0.0% "I would wait forever for a new release from this author.....and I feel like I have!!!"
07/15/2012 page 348
91.0% "What a treat! The best SEP I've read in years:)"
07/17/2012 page 384
100.0% "Awesome!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Are you liking this one Crista?

message 2: by Crista (last edited Jul 15, 2012 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Crista Hi Katlynne!
I've missed you!
I was up until 3am with this one. I'm almost finished and it is wonderful!!! The best SEP I've read in years:) I'll post a more detailed review as soon as I finish:)
Hope all is well and that you are reading something fabulous right now!

message 3: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Hi sweet Crista. I've missed you too! RL is always getting in my way with my reading:) I have so many fabulous books to get to and little time:(

So glad to hear you loved this one and looking forward to your review! Now, get some rest:)! Smileys

Keri Great review! Can't wait for my copy to come in the mail.

Crista Thanks Keri! Hope you enjoy it.....isn't it fun to get a package in the mail (esp. when it's a book you've been waiting for:)!

Emma I have a very long flight beginning of august so I'm waiting to read it... It'as already hard to have the book and Not reading it but your review made it even harder !!! great review ;-)

Crista Hi Emmanuelle!
Thank you so much! What a great idea to save this one for your flight!!! This book will make that flight time zip right on by. I think you will really enjoy it:) Let me know....

Emma I will !!

message 9: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne As always, fantastic review sweet Crista!

Crista Hi KatLynne!

message 11: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Crista wrote: "Hi KatLynne!
I hope you know what a treasure you are! Thank you and I hope you will read this one!"

Thank you for your kind words sweet Crista! I'm really looking forward to reading this one and hope it will be soon:)