Jim's Reviews > Arcadia

Arcadia by Lauren Groff

M 50x66
Jul 11, 12

It took a while for this book to sink in and I came away from it still a little intrigued. Intrigued more by Lauren Groff than the world of Arcadia. Her writing style draws me close and keeps me in, even if the story itself is missing something. It was interesting, but the entire time, I felt too much like an outsider and felt too distant to care about what was happening. I also started with Lauren Groff by reading her short stories, so I was used to a much denser writing style than Arcadia, which probably wouldn't work nearly as well if it weren't given as much space to spread and breathe.

I was a bit thrown off by the occasional sharp shift in setting. And that last third of the book felt like an entirely different story, entirely different set of characters altogether at times. In fact, I think I might have been more interested in more of that and less of the hippie commune. Anyways, it was a worthwhile read mostly for Groff's amazing voice and that alone will be enough to get me to read whatever she does next.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia.