TheSaint's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Oct 31, 2008

bookshelves: dystopian, ya
Read in November, 2008

I knew, coming into The Knife of Never Letting Go that this would be the first of a series -- not normally a thrill for me. Even so, while reading it, I'm thinking "This is a perfect book! Five stars!" But that cliffhanger is definitely a buzz kill.
The main characters are absolutely believable. Todd, even though he bemoans his ineptitude and cowardice, is actually quite brave. The plot is so full of action that the story will appeal to YA guys. In fact, this book could be an exception to the rule that kids won't read books with characters younger than they.
I think girls will find much to enjoy here, too. Viola's past is less known to the reader, but she is quite a presence in the present -- as brave and resourceful as Todd; as well as indignant about the fate of women in the various communities they encounter.
As well she should be. A theme that fairly jumps off the pages is the gulf that separates men from women. A theme that is enhanced by the conceit of the "noise" that men make, but women do not.
If I had the second book at the ready I probably would not be writing here, but reading. As it is, cliffhanger or no, I can't guarantee that I would read further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.