D. B.'s Reviews > The Man in the High Castle

Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: fiction-scifi-fantasy-horror
Recommended for: Harry Turtledove fans, WWII geeks
Read in November, 2008

High-concept, low return what-if alternate history. The idea is interesting, if a little tired: what if the Axis won World War II and divvied up the world between Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan? The answer is, not much, apparently. This new world order only really serves as a backdrop for Dick's slightly skewed storytelling, which jumps between the more interesting plot of a shadow conspiracy to nuke Japan, and a painfully tiresome tale of modern-day antiquing. Somewhere else in there is a pointless thread about a cult book that outlines a parallel history where the Allies win the war, and then the whole thing just kind of stops, as if nothing ever happened.

Maybe it was all a dream. Maybe I didn't really read it after all.
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the High Castle.

message 1: by Dave (new) - rated it 1 star

Dave Sums up my feelings on it nicely. It was all a bit 'meh'

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 1 star

Tom I just started reading it, my first book by him and I am not that impressed. It is filled with racist language (japs, wops), and he thinks that the I Ching is Confucian which it isn't, it's Taoist.

Lisa Thompson Totally agree with DB and Tom. Trying to get through it to see if something more interesting is shared.

Sandra Spring My feelings exactly. I wanted to read it after I saw the pilot on Amazon Prime ...and the fact that Frank Spotnitz, of XFiles fame was working on it. The first episode is amazing. This book?! Meh. Not my cup of tea and not nearly as riveting or exciting as I had hoped. Good review!

Calvin Habig Wish I'd read this review before I wasted my time on this book.

Miamigomiguel Spot on, pal.