D. B.'s Reviews > The Man in the High Castle

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction-scifi-fantasy-horror
Recommended for: Harry Turtledove fans, WWII geeks
Read in November, 2008

High-concept, low return what-if alternate history. The idea is interesting, if a little tired: what if the Axis won World War II and divvied up the world between Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan? The answer is, not much, apparently. This new world order only really serves as a backdrop for Dick's slightly skewed storytelling, which jumps between the more interesting plot of a shadow conspiracy to nuke Japan, and a painfully tiresome tale of modern-day antiquing. Somewhere else in there is a pointless thread about a cult book that outlines a parallel history where the Allies win the war, and then the whole thing just kind of stops, as if nothing ever happened.

Maybe it was all a dream. Maybe I didn't really read it after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the High Castle.

02/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Dave (new) - rated it 1 star

Dave Sums up my feelings on it nicely. It was all a bit 'meh'

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 1 star

Tom I just started reading it, my first book by him and I am not that impressed. It is filled with racist language (japs, wops), and he thinks that the I Ching is Confucian which it isn't, it's Taoist.

Lisa Thompson Totally agree with DB and Tom. Trying to get through it to see if something more interesting is shared.

Sandra Spring My feelings exactly. I wanted to read it after I saw the pilot on Amazon Prime ...and the fact that Frank Spotnitz, of XFiles fame was working on it. The first episode is amazing. This book?! Meh. Not my cup of tea and not nearly as riveting or exciting as I had hoped. Good review!

Calvin Habig Wish I'd read this review before I wasted my time on this book.

Miamigomiguel Spot on, pal.

Nicole Foster Great review - not sure why i didn't check here first. I blame the Amazon Pilot

Monika K Hit the nail on the head!

Christopher Summed up perfectly, thanks!

Jenny Me too. I was beginning to wonder if I missed something in my reading. Especially since people are saying good things about the new Amazon Prime series.

Lazure Your review perfectly sums up my feelings after reading this novel : it could have been so much better !

Lynsey Absolutely sums up my feelings on this book. The political concepts in the book are interesting but the delivery is dull. I waded through until the end expecting something interesting to happen but it didn't.

Rusty me too... I don't understand why this book is getting such good reviews.

Susmita Why is no one else talking about what happened at the end of the book like you have? The book was a let down compared to all the reviews I had read. And I felt like maybe I got it all twisted up in my head.

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Vegan Great review! Much better than the book!

message 18: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill I completely agree! "Meh" sums it up.

message 19: by Brad (new) - rated it 1 star

Brad "what if...? The answer is, not much, apparently."
Haha!