Dana's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from July 11 to 12, 2012

I feel this should be a required read for everyone as soon as they turn eighteen.
I personally think Augusten Burroughs is a brilliant writer, and while this book is nothing like his other works, he still has his blunt, raw style of writing with carefully chosen words. Unlike other self help books, this is merely knowledge that Augusten has picked up from living for almost half a century (and most of it is pretty damn good advice).
Bits and pieces I underlined throughout the book that I wanted to remember include:

'Sometimes you just feel like shit'.
'Affirmations are bullshit.......They are a form of self-betrayal based on bogus, side-of-the-cereal-box psychology'.
'You can be a very honest person and yet not be living a very truthful life'.
'Do you think it's possible that each fantasy leaves just a little bit of residue?'
'Decisions are beautiful. They are evidence of thought and care. Decisions are the polishing cloths of life.'
'Truth is noncombustible.'
'Even painfully shy and awkward people are not painfully shy or awkward when they are alone.'
'Never be afraid of space or silence. They are merely the cool side of the pillow during interaction: a refreshing mental nap.'
'Perfectionism is the satin-lined casket of creativity and originality.'

'When you say, "I need more confidence," what you're really saying is, "I need those people over there to approve of me." That is the desire to control other people and what they think. The first person who figures out how to do this owns the world.'

'If you hate your life, it's because your life is too small and doesn't fit you.'
'Blame may well be justified but it's not going to move you forward in life.'
'You cannot be a prisoner of your past against your will. Because you can only live in the past inside your mind.'
'A loss is not a subtraction. As an experience, it's an addition.'

He wrote a chapter on how to deal specifically with emotionally abusive relationships, and I underlined the fuck out of that one. There's too much to say about it, needless to say I found it to be the most helpful chapter and the one that captured the most truth.

'Happiness is a treadmill of a goal for people who are not happy by nature.'
'If you fall out of love, remember the love and not the fall.'
'Be aware of the potential worst. But don't accept it in advance.'

These are not all of the lines I bolded over, not even close. This book simply opens your eyes to the truth about most things people have been lying to you about. Yes, they are just his opinions on how to deal with the situations, but I didn't disagree with any of them. Quite frankly, I think everyone needs to read this book. I"ll be rereading it soon, as I KNOW there are other quotable lines in there I didn't see the first time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.

07/11/2012 page 64
27.0% "What I last underlined: truth is noncombustible."
07/12/2012 page 104
43.0% "Pg. 77 had the perfect paragraph, I'll put it on my quotes when I finally get to Chicago, in Pennsylvania now. 'When you say "I need more confidence," what you're really saying is, "I need those people over there to approve of me." That is the desire to control other people and what they think. The first person who figures out how to do this owns the world.'"
07/12/2012 page 204
85.0% "Honestly, I'm really upset that I'm reading this book on a road trip. Each sentence of this book should be carefully reviewed and underlined, while I'm sitting outside and drinking my coffee. I feel like I'm missing too many good lines, it doesn't feel right. But it doesn't feel right to stop, either."
show 1 hidden update…