A. Rose's Reviews > Blood Magic

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Jul 11, 12

I own a copy

I'm still on the lookout for a good, dark young adult novel. I've already consumed Beautiful Creatures, Tithe, Wicked Lovely, and She Lies Twisted. This wasn't nearly at that level. The hardcover's image drew me in (I really detest the paperback and Kindle cover - very misleading) and the first chapter was very enticing with its single line. The rest of the book falls flat. It wasn't the kind of bad that makes me detest P.R. Frost books, but it was so boring, so uninspiring that I'm having trouble bringing up any specific memories. I'm also not a fan of split narratives and I think that very, very few authors can actually pull them off. Unfortunately for Ms. Gratton, she is not one of them. I really didn't like Nick, didn't think he was sympathetic enough with Silla when her brother died (not that she seemed to care all that much either.) The point is, if you've read everything else out there and are desperate for material, this is okay, but there are much better authors out there. (See: Melissa Marr, Garcia and Stohl, Holly Black, C.M. Stunich or even Amanda Ashby for a sillier read)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Magic.