Sarah Coughlon's Reviews > Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: poetry, 2012
Read on July 11, 2012

"Macavity: The Mystery Cat" was my very favorite poem when I was a very young child... when I found this in a bookstore this morning and realized that baby Sarah's favorite poem was written by adultolescent Sarah's favorite poet, I may or may not have squealed in glee and started hopping up and down in public...

This collection, like all great children's literature, respects the minds of tiny humans: there is both gravity and profound silliness in Eliot's translation of the grownup world into the life of cats. He has a great eye for the personalities of mousers and men, and the satire is even more hilarious as a grownup than it was as a child. He's also, obviously, a masterful poet: several of the rhymes had me dying of laughter.

Finally, you have to get the edition with Edward Gorey's beautiful illustrations. Buy it for yourself, buy it for any kiddies in your life, buy it for grownups who like feeling happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.