Kaitlyn's Reviews > Cursed

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Sep 08, 12

bookshelves: books-worth-rereading, read-in-one-day, strong-main-characters, swoon-worthy-boys
Recommended for: Fans of Shatter Me or X-Men
Read from September 05 to 06, 2012

4.5 stars.

I don't think I'll ever read a Jennifer Armentrout book that I don't like. I was blown away by Obsidian and Onyx, and I plan on reading her Covenant series soon. And thankfully, Cursed does not disappoint!

If you like the plots of X-Men or Shatter Me, then Cursed is just the type of book you'll love. And even if you just enjoy reading books with sassy heroines and lots of laugh-out-loud moments, you'll still love it. Basically, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to every single person out there.

Ember was a wonderful heroine who struggles to stay true to herself while dealing her strange power. I loved her character arc. Her troubles are easy to relate to, and despite all that she's been through, she has this hilarious sense of humor and is quite witty and sarcastic. Loved her!

Hayden was so good too! At first I was wary because he and his father had spied on Ember for months before they actually met, and I was just thinking, "Pleasepleaseplease don't let him be a stalker; it's too creepy," but he wasn't at all like that. He was so sweet and sincere! He understood Ember and stuck by her when no one else would. He was persistent and helped her try to control her power even when she was ready to give up. I loved that for once, the love interest wasn't a "bad boy" type. Hayden was a great character who definitely added more to the story than simply being the love interest!

And lastly, the plot. It was clever and unique except for one tiny factor: I immediately guessed who the bad guy was. It was, unfortunately, quite obvious, at least to me. (That's the only reason I don't give Cursed a full 5 stars) But I felt like it wasn't a major part of the story. There was so much else happening, so many other twists and turns like who Ember could trust, trying to figure out her background, find out what caused her family's accident, etc., that I still had to keep guessing what would happen. Despite the predictable villain, Armentrout still managed to surprise me in the end!

This was an amazing read, and even though there's no definite sequel, I really hope JLA will continue the story! I would love to read more about Ember! Get a copy of Cursed as soon as possible. It's so worth it!

You can also find this review at my blog, The Bookworm: http://dragongirl28.blogspot.com/2012...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cursed.

Quotes Kaitlyn Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“For a brief second, I entertained the idea of ripping off my gloves, rushing down the hall, and jumping on Dustin’s back like a psychotic monkey.”
Jennifer L. Armentrout, Cursed
tags: humor

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You quoted Oscar Wilde.” I smiled.

Hayden laughed. “Yeah, that was, like, the height of geekdom.”

“No. It was kind of cool.”
Jennifer L. Armentrout, Cursed