Dan's Reviews > Mother Night

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut

Jul 27, 07

Recommended for: everyone
Read in February, 2005

This is one of my favorite books. I picked this book up and read it through in one sitting. I couldn't put it down I was so engaged.

This book presents the moral dilemma of Howard W. Campbell Jr. an American who became a Nazi propagandist. However, he only became a Nazi propagandist because he was spying for the USA. Yet, he was a really good propagandist. His dilemma is this: Does the good of spying for America obviate and out weigh the evils he did by making propaganda for the Nazis or do his sins and virtues in both roles exist independently?

I had never considered a moral dilemma like this before.

It is a great story about how a person can do evil when they are trying to do good as well as how one man can be destroyed in the clash of two countries.

This book is amazingly well written, thought provoking and powerful. I recommend it to everyone.

I read this book because my roommate recommended it and because I like Kurt Vonnegut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Javed (new) - added it

Javed Hayat Unbelievable, I happend to have read the first para of your review, and I cant believe. You pretty much ruined the whole book for me. Whatever happened to good old spoiler alert. This is most irregular.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Hey Lev, That paragraph you refer to doesn't contain anything that the back of the paperback book wouldn't already tell you. There's a whole plot that I don't even touch on at all... I assure you. But please read the book for yourself to see :-)

message 3: by Javed (last edited Dec 15, 2011 08:26PM) (new) - added it

Javed Hayat Dan wrote: "Hey Lev, That paragraph you refer to doesn't contain anything that the back of the paperback book wouldn't already tell you. There's a whole plot that I don't even touch on at all... I assure yo..."

Oh ok. May be I got a little carried away. I actually thought that Howard being a double agent was the eventual twist of the story. Thanks, and apologies... :)