Tara's Reviews > Forgotten Bookmarks: A Bookseller's Collection of Odd Things Lost Between the Pages

Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek

Jul 15, 12

Read from July 11 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

This book intrigued me, having worked in a used book store before, and having been in the antiques business. It is a fascinating look into the past, at what ephemera gets left behind in books. The fun part was matching the "bookmark" with the book. For instance, in Freud's book Totem and Taboo, a customer card with rules and regulations for a strip club was found. This one made me laugh out loud. But then there are the heartbreaking letters to loved ones that never got sent, or the retyped "A Prayer for My Daughter," by Yeats, in Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation. I think this book reinforced to me the importance books can have in our lives, how we look to them in times of trouble and need. And how they can hold little gems, like Mrs. Eisenhower's recipe for fudge :-). Some of the finds are not so interesting, however, hence the 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgotten Bookmarks.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Sounds like a 'tissue' book....as in have them handy.

Tara Not so much, just a handful that are that touching. Really more of a coffee table/bathroom rack book :-).