Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Pigeon Pie Mystery

The Pigeon Pie Mystery by Julia Stuart

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, historic-fiction, humor
Read from July 11 to 14, 2012

The Pigeon Pie Mystery. Look at that name. Now think about it - maybe you will come to the same conclusion I did at first: the mystery must be about who, on earth, would eat pigeon pie?

However, that is not the mystery contained within the pages of this insanely witty, very dry, very British book about the HH Princess Alexandrina (Mink) and her maid from India, "Pooki". I don't read a lot of mysteries these days, and when I do I stick to authors that I've found through a (very painful) process that I have honed over the last few years. I don't like sensationalism, but I do like interesting character development - the more quirks the better.

Julia Stuart's writing reminds me a bit of Alexander McCall Smith's. But while his writing tends to be about developing the same characters and providing thoughtful insights into life in Botswana, Stuart's writing veers more toward bringing out the ridiculous in those we see around us. She's a fantastic mix of the more outgoing of Austen's awkward situations and McCall Smith's lovable characters. I don't know how to describe it better than that.

So, having loved The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise with all its eccentricities and, having been moved to tears more than once (both from laughter and sorrow), I jumped on Stuart's new novel faster than you can say Victoria and Albert.

For the last two days I have savoured this novel (look at me, spelling with extra vowels now). I've giggled and enjoyed every quirk - from ghosts to murder mysteries to monkeys to ill-fitting trousers on amorous doctors. And while I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't the same level of bitter-sweetness in The Pigeon Pie Mystery, I hereby deem it a novel worthy to be read - but only by those who appreciate good, dry British humour (and don't mind picking up an extra vowel or two).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pigeon Pie Mystery.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I loved the tortoise the zoo and the tower, do you think I'll like this one too???

Lydia Presley Sarah wrote: "I loved the tortoise the zoo and the tower, do you think I'll like this one too???"

Yup!

Susan Great review! And I feel your pain about the painful process of finding reliable authors to read - same with movies worth paying to see, the older I get, the smaller that list becomes ( hope that makes sense...I'm in the middle of Pidgeon Pie and the General just died, and I'm having a lovely time! After reading your review along with others here, I think I'll have to give "The Tortoise, The Zoo" a try as well. Thanks for a fun review!