Etra's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

Jul 11, 12

Read in July, 2012

David Levithan has always had a special place in my heart. I find his writing to consistently blow me away and impress me with the various concepts and collaborations that he does so well.

When I read the description for "Every Day," I didn't know what to expect from Levithan. While this is a contemporary YA novel, there is an identifiable aspect of sci-fi. This did not detract from the novel, but enhanced it. There has been a growing trend, especially in traditional adult fiction, of genre's sticking together and authors afraid to take a chance. This is an example of what a great writer can do with a strong enough concept, good characters and an element taken from another genre.

A is one of the most groundbreaking characters that we have seen in YA fiction. He does not label himself, he is attracted to both sexes and has no gender of his own. His identity is completely tied to his various experiences of both genders growing up.

A wakes up in a new body every morning. Sometimes the body is male, sometimes female, sometimes they are obese, or incredibly beautiful, every day, it is different. A fights with not wanting to make a ripple in these lives, he attempts to tread as lightly as possible, attempting to live their lives as if they were there.

Then A meets Rhiannon, in the body of her boyfriend, Justin. Throughout the novel, their meeting greatly affects the way they relate to each other and their relationship.

A feels that they should be together and there is no reason to keep them apart. Rhiannon feels very differently. Without the ability to live a life together, can love thrive or even exist?

I really enjoyed this book. I was itching to see how Levithan was going to end it or which person A would end up as next. It was a great read and I would readily recommend it to anyone interested in a twist on contemporary YA.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.