Dana's Reviews > Dreamland

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in March, 2012

Dreamland was a book a had to read for school, and I was okay with that. I was reading another book at the same time, and Sarah Dessen books are always pretty easy to read (not to put down her writing, I think her books are lovely, they're just always quick reads). I sat down with this book, and took the afternoon just to sit in the living room, drink diet coke, and read. I finished by five, and cried exactly three times. The book is written on such a personal level, and I could relate so well to what was happening. Not the abusive part, but rather the mother - daughter - daughter relationship. I'm the younger sister, and my sisters mistakes always took up every conversation. It perfectly explains everything, and I focused more on that than I did the abusive part, which I suppose was suppose to be most important. The main character also found a home within her friends, which is what I did when both the family was wrapped up in my sisters problems and my boyfriend was being an issue. Everything was written like I was in such a situation, and it helped me so much, which I hadn't expected when I was assigned the book. It was a self help book plopped into my lap, to help specifically me and no one else. Understandably, I know it's not a self help book, but it made me realize that anything can be fixed by me, i'm important, and If I do need anything the people who are important to me will help and love me. The main character described her numb feeling towards the end as 'drowning', which many books seem to do. I can't remember the last sentence now, which aggravates me (the reason why I generally buy books) but it says something about her getting up to the surface and finally being able to breathe again.
The emotion in the book was real, raw and very, very upsetting. But it helped me in a time I needed it. A fantastic book which I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamland.