Jeff Archibald's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

Jul 11, 12

Read in July, 2012

I watched a BBC series with Kenneth Branaugh about the Swedish detective Wallander, and since I had read a couple of other Swedish mysteries and because I had like the TV program, I picked this up at the library. I hadn't done my research, obviously, because this is the last in the series of 10-ish (?) novels about Wallander. Oh, well.

I really liked it. Wallander is getting older and while there were lots of passages about the mystery itself, there was also an underlying meditation on getting older that I really enjoyed. He starts having physical difficulties (finds out he's diabetic, troubles sleeping and with diet, etc.) and reflects on relationships, etc., he's had and ones that he regrets having had--or at least their outcomes.

The mystery itself is based on what I assume to be historical moments in Swedish history--and Mankell's characters having to deal with those events. It's about spies, the Cold War, Russian submarines, and a naval commander and his wife who go missing--they are the grandparents of Wallander's granddaughter (it's hard to explain that relationship, as Wallander's daughter is not married to the father of the child, although they live together). So, he has an investment in helping to find them.

Yeah. So if you like Swedish detective stories, I'd definitely recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin Hill Just added Book 1 to my library audiobook queue.

Jeff Archibald I just requested Book 1 from the library, as well. I'd highly recommend the BBC series--I liked the cinematography and the scenery.

No more Facebook?

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin Hill I'll be back. Just need a break -- it quit being a positive thing for me.