Sarah Kalaitzidis's Reviews > The Unquiet

The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee

Aug 11, 12

Read on July 11, 2012

Who would have thought a ghost teen book could actually be scary? Not only do people begin to act weird, there is even death in this book. I did really enjoy this book, and yes, a story focusing on ghosts is a first for me.

Corinne, or Rinn to her friends, is our main character of this book, and she isn’t like most girls you read in Young Adult books. You learn that she is actually bipolar and has to take medication for it. She puts her past behind her to start afresh at her new school. With her medication, she acts like a normal teenager and even makes friends right away. When she’s off her meds, she really does change. I did as my mom about bipolarism, as she does have something similar to it. She did confirm that once a medication is given, you have to keep taking it your pills, because it will never get better. This is shown in the book when Rinn goes off her medication. She begins to become reckless again and starts to hear things. Rinn's character is believable because of this unfortunate reality.

Nate is your everyday popular boy. He’s not a jock, but he is in the school’s band. You know right away that Nate isn’t shallow, staying with Rinn even when she told him her whole story about how she’s bipolar and what happen three months before. He sticks with her even when he wanted to have nothing to do with the ghost.

There were a few other characters that made the story run, each following their own character typecast. Meg, Tessa, Lacy and Dino are the key secondary characters. Meg, Tasha and Lacy are all from the popular group. They meet Rinn and each react in a different way towards her. Lacy was the brat of the group, mean to everyone that she doesn’t like. Meg is happy and is a good friend at first. Tasha is the daughter of Rinn’s mother's friend from long ago. Dino is an outcast of sorts. He did weed and would always try to get Rinn’s attention even when she wanted nothing to do him.

The romance is quite normal. Rinn is reluctant to fall for Nate at first, but over time she does start to like him. In turn, Nate doesn't run from her, or think any differently of her when he finds out about her problems. Nate seems drawn to her because she's a new face in the small town, someone interesting in monotony. They begin to date soon after meeting each other, and he becomes the only one that she can trust with her plans about the ghosts. They do appear to be right for each other, as their relationship grows over the span of a few months, and Nate doesn’t care much about Rinn’s condition.

The plot is new and quite interesting to me. It's very easy for a book about ghost hunting to become comedic and campy, but the author did a good job in making this book exciting. That being said, it was a bit slow in the development to the main plot line. I enjoyed reading the book, ready to find out what will happen next and which character the ghost will effect badly next. What I also liked was how the story also had a background on Rinn explaining her past and why her and her mom moved away from California. They also explained why the ghost appeared and how she’s connected to the parents of Rinn and her friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unquiet.

07/13/2012 page 110
28.0% "Interesting so far!"
show 1 hidden update…