Kerri's Reviews > First Among Sequels

First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

Jul 11, 12

Read in July, 2012

I’ve read all the books in the Thursday Next series up to this one and the first is still by far my favorite. They are all entertaining, but the plot seems to become less and less important with each go-around. I wasn’t sure what this one was exactly about until maybe three-quarters of the way through. Nonetheless, the ideas are clever. I found myself asking again and again, “How does he come up with this stuff?”

This time Thursday lives in a world with a stupidity surplus and political parties with opposing ideas on how to get rid of it. Dump it all at once or spread out the stupidity over time? This sequel is less about BookWorld and more about time travel. Rather than a fictional character, Thursday’s companion is a very amusing version of herself.

In the Outland, cheese goes underground as a result of outrageous taxation and is traded like drugs on the black market. (God forbid!) These passages are some of the most entertaining in the book. One particular stinker is described at length by its dealer. “It’ll bring you up in a rash just by looking at it. Denser than enriched plutonium, two grams can season enough macaroni and cheese for eight hundred men. The smell alone will corrode iron. A concentration in air of only seventeen parts per million will bring on nausea and unconsciousness within twenty seconds.” Sounds good to me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Among Sequels.