Shantanu's Reviews > The Case of the Missing Servant

The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall

Jul 14, 12

it was ok
Read from July 11 to 14, 2012

I've loaded my shelves with a lot of Indian detective fiction lately. There's Ray's entire set of Feluda stories with a lot of other novels. This one by Tarquin Hall was recommended by someone on Twitter and as it turns out, it isn't a bad book. I wanted to give it 2.5 stars but can't do that on Goodreads.

Tarquin's detective Vish Puri is a Delhi based punjabi detective who takes his job as seriously as he takes his chicken frankie. Tarquin has sketched Vish Puri's adventures in a bumbling, delhite manner that never allows you to take the detective seriously. The language shuffles between Punjlish and English and packs a chuckle or two occasionally. While this does lend a different style to a whodunnit, there isn't any nervous tension or excitement that one feels while reading say a Holmes or a Poe story. The story is somewhat predictable(especially 100 pages down) and Tarquin distracts you by packing in an additional 50 pages of sub-plots. Tarquin also lets a few observations on India's current state slip in through Puri. There are references to Sherlock Holmes and Chanakya and the customary discussion of rapes in the NCR and BPOs.

There are more adventures of Puri(two other books I guess) but I won't be reading them in a hurry. Unless I am looking for a breezy read that I can finish over during a particularly long layover or an Indian-Airlines induced delay.

There is also a website apparently(vishpuri.com) that refuses to load. Next in line is Madhulika Liddle's The Englishman's Cameo. There is also a handy list curated by Tehelka if you're interested - http://www.tehelka.com/story_main52.a.... Then there's folks on Twitter, ofcourse.

Happy detecting!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Missing Servant.

07/11/2012 page 25

message 1: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Agarwal Do read 'The Devotion of Suspect X' if you want a decent detective book/murder mystery

Shantanu Flipkarting now.

message 3: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Agarwal You could alternatively visit my blog to read the review and then Flipkart right from there :P #shamelessplug

Shantanu wrote: "Flipkarting now.

Ankit wrote: "Do read 'The Devotion of Suspect X' if you want a decent detective book/murder mystery""