Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > The Drowned Cities

The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi

Feb 07, 13

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from July 11 to 25, 2012

Dark and gritty, this book is a fitting follow-up to Ship Breaker. However if you're expecting a sequel with familiar characters and scenery this is not that book. Drowned City follows a new protagonist, the feisty and plotting Mahlia. She's a "cast-off", half Chinese, half American, abandoned by her father after the Chinese peacekeepers abandoned Americans to the local factions . She's been formed by a world that hates her. She lost her hand, while fleeing the battling armies and was taken in by a kindly doctor.

When Mahlia's only friend, the meek and gentle Mouse is taken by one of the warring factions, she's determined to get him back. Enlisting the help of a half-man, a genetically modified war machine, she follows the army to save Mouse.

Even with a backdrop of war, this book is mostly about Mahlia. It's about how she sees herself, who she really is and her fight for survival in a hostile world. This is not a happy cheerful book, but if you've already read Shipbreaker you shouldn't expect that. But it's a good, fast-paced, intense read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowned Cities.

07/11/2012 page 96
22.0% "Am I the only person who finds red-heads in dystopians annoying? That gene will be LONG GONE by then. I understand fake red-hair but real, nope don't believe. (This is not related to the page I am on at all if you're wondering)" 4 comments
07/12/2012 page 199
46.0% "I wonder about the way they judge Mahlia for her Asian heritage. There have been Asians in the US for years & since this is futuristic why does that automatically mean she was born by the peacekeepers? (She was & it's just taken for granted)" 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tatiana I am betting the same way every brown-skinned person here is judged to be either and illegal immigrant or Muslim terrorist.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Tatiana wrote: "I am betting the same way every brown-skinned person here is judged to be either and illegal immigrant or Muslim terrorist."

I don't think the majority of the population things that. I would say it's a loud minority (though it's larger than I initially thought after going through this past election). Maybe I can say that because living in a mostly white area it doesn't come up very often.

They did explain it a little more when they said her age was a factor. I still think it's a slight oversight that could've been better explained.

message 3: by Tatiana (last edited Jul 25, 2012 04:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "Tatiana wrote: "I am betting the same way every brown-skinned person here is judged to be either and illegal immigrant or Muslim terrorist."

I don't think the majority of the population things tha..."

You are lucky, because my husband, for instance, who is Asian Indian is called Muslim (and other stuff that I am not going to mention) all the time. Or spoken to in a way as if he doesn't know any English.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard You see I can't imagine doing that. I did stare at an woman with a headscarf (I won't guess religion) in the airport. She had 4 little children and was traveling alone. I was terrified for her because they looked like a wild group. But thats about as far as my staring goes.

Where I grew up there were no black people in my town, but we had Indians and Asians and nobody seemed very bothered by it. I know I wasn't. I thought it was odd that my friend had never had a hamburger, seemed very sad to child-me.

message 5: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom I guess I should have read your review. I'm like 40% into it and thinking this is taking forever to get back to Nailer and the gang...haha

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Tom wrote: "I guess I should have read your review. I'm like 40% into it and thinking this is taking forever to get back to Nailer and the gang...haha"

Hahaha. Yeah calling it book 2 in a series is kinda generous.