Charlie George's Reviews > The Legacy

The Legacy by R.A. Salvatore

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: forgotten-realms, books-read-twice, fantasy
Read from December 03 to 09, 2010

The joy of fantasy adventure is always found in pitting powerful characters, be they good guys or bad guys, against one another. Fantasy in general, and Forgotten Realms books in particular are able to make the most of these confrontations because they have proscribed rules familiar to any D&D player.

On the basis of story and writing, this was cruising steadily towards 2 stars. Drizzt's traditional journal entries alone are enough to elevate it above 1 star. Not that they're deep or sophisticated or anything, but at least they try, which is more than the rest of Forgotten Realms books can say. So then our band of heroes and the dwarves of Mithril Hall square off against the drow-elf raiding party and I'm reminded of what good fantasy action is all about, and hence the 3rd star.

I can see why I would have handily given this 5 stars as recently as 10 years ago, but having been spoiled by the skilled writing of Bujold and other quality modern fiction, Salvatore just doesn't hold up anymore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legacy.