A.M.'s Reviews > Becoming a Writer

Becoming a Writer by Dorothea Brande

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from July 13 to 19, 2012

What I enjoyed about this book is that it takes an entirely different approach to writing self-help; one I hadn't encountered before.

The premise is as follows: this book does not teach the mechanics of story writing and plot, it teaches you how to get your ass in the chair and write. It teaches discipline, overcoming your fear, getting the words to flow. In practical steps, it shows you how to begin producing content regularly.

Sure, the book was published in the 1930s and has some archaisms, but the advice mostly remains relevant and current.

I enjoyed Brande's no nonsense tone, and found her to be occasionally insightful - she puts into words things I've known but never consciously considered.

However, I personally didn't take much from this book. The free writing and writing-to-a-schedule exercises she recommends are something I already do, and ultimately my writing stumbling blocks are less fear of the blank page and more story construction.

That said, I'd recommend this book to people who want to start writing but don't know how, or to those who have hit a wall and can't seem to progress.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming a Writer.

Quotes A.M. Liked

John Braine
John Braine, Becoming a Writer

07/13/2012 page 12
6.0% "“Writing's not always a pleasure to me, but if I'm not writing every other pleasure loses its savour.”"
07/19/2012 page 139
72.0% "Refreshing - focused on the discipline of writing regularly instead of mechanics of plot."