Jo's Reviews > Shadows and Strongholds

1011913
Oct 30, 2008

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in October, 2008

I found this book to be perfectly paced for a tome of nearly 600 pages that follows the characters from the age of 10. I feel that books that follow characters for as long as this one did tend to have a plodding exposition of too many chapters as we "meet" the character(s). This was not the case with this book, since I had a hard time putting it down, as my unfinished tai chi paper proves. I may love to read, but I'm also fairly good at judging when to pause, which I couldn't this time. I was further riveted by the story when I flipped to the back about halfway through and learned that it was based on actual events, however loosely. Not just the struggle for England's crown, but that our main characters had once been actual people. The author admits to playing with the facts, but I agree with her assessment of its forgivability, given that she's writing fiction. I'm even considering reading a non-fiction book outside of a class and might read the titles she suggests.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows and Strongholds.