Abbey's Reviews > Burma Chronicles

Burma Chronicles by Guy Delisle

Jul 11, 2012

bookshelves: comix
Read from July 11 to 12, 2012

I had this book on my shelf for a couple of years and could, for some reason, never get into it when I tried. Then, last Saturday I spent the day with two good friends who just returned from a year in Northern Thailand. They spoke about Burma (and a million other things) and on Sunday I thought I'd give this book another try, this time with more context and personal stories. And, damn, I'm so glad I did. It's fantastic.

I really love Guy Delisle's illustrations, and this story is particularly fascinating and he navigates his own positionality as a stay-at-home foreigner dad in Burma. I love the discussions of Doctors without Borders (where his wife works), France (his home country), and the monks that show up throughout the book. The book discusses - thoroughly- the tensions between calling Burma 'Mynmar', the dictatorship, the health policies & problems, UN and other world health organizations involvements, as well as his own personal journey with Buddhism & meditation.

This is a really, really wonderful travelogue. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burma Chronicles.