Aishwarya's Reviews > Beauty

Beauty by Robin McKinley

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: tale-as-old-as-time

A very faithful retelling. It pleased and charmed me. I didnt feel the pages slipping by, I fell more and more in love with the gentle Beast as the story progressed.
Beauty was no plain beauty, she was vivid. The part about the magic was a little fuzzy and could have been more elaborated just like the books of the future seemed like a poor excuse to fill in some books that we all know. The horses of the book I loved, it was clear that Beauty loved horses given the love she used to describe their every action and interpretation.
The ending was a little abrupt and it ended a little too soon for me; Beauty's hesitation seemed ideal to me. She didn't betray Beast for the handsome young man and searched for him until he managed to convince her.
Some sentences that charmed me:
"the colt flicked his ears back and forth and suspected us of inventing new atrocities to wreak upon him" and "it raised its head and pricked its ears at me", "the breeze which seemed to have been toasting its toes by the fire", the fight she had with the breeze over her clothes ! And the part with the staircase in the library and the polishing silver :D
This book did justice to my most favorite fairy tale ever.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty.