Rachel (BAVR)'s Reviews > Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half

Apr 16, 13

bookshelves: hr-challenge-to-finish, too-wtf-to-resist, did-not-finish
Read from July 11 to December 19, 2012

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half.

Rachel (BAVR) I don't know what possessed me to do this. One minute, my Nook was totally safe, and the next, BAVR got all twitchy and forced me to buy it.

Okay, okay. So I read the sample, and on the first page, the hero walks in on his brother getting a BJ from a prostitute. And I was like, "LOL - BUY!"

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla OMG, that first page would have sold me too. :D

message 3: by Willow (new)

Willow LOL! I have found I have an itchy buying finger if I stay up to late at night.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah But that cover! It's just so... *cringes* WTF kind of Regency hero is that? He looks like he's about to take off that shirt & hit the surf.

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla Since this is from Sourcebooks, BAVR will have to let us know if it follows the formula the editor there laid down for what she wants in romance.

Rachel (BAVR) Sarah wrote: "But that cover! It's just so... *cringes* WTF kind of Regency hero is that? He looks like he's about to take off that shirt & hit the surf."

Bwahaha! Look at his hair. Are those highlights?

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Since this is from Sourcebooks, BAVR will have to let us know if it follows the formula the editor there laid down for what she wants in romance."

Ooh, good idea! I'll have to keep track. >:D

This book is very strange so far. Random things happen and then stop, and nothing seems to move the plot along. It reads like a self-pub.

message 7: by Karla (new)

Karla Hah, sounds like my fanfics when I'd take a long time to post chapters. I'd lose all plot momentum so it would end up being a bunch of small things that went nowhere. A bitch to edit! :D

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah What you want to avoid is the reader having the experience that she’s read this book already.

WHUT? Rules like that are ensuring you'll feel romantical-deja-vu. Too many rules = the same thing churned out repeatedly. Those guidelines don't compute if you're interested in fresh, exciting authorship. *scratches head*

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rachel (BAVR) wrote: "Bwahaha! Look at his hair. Are those highlights? "

He's a Bourne Identity assassin masquerading as a surfer...in the Regency period! He has both balls, but a horrible wool allergy.

I smell a sequel to THE EUNACH & THE PEARL. :D

message 10: by Karla (new)

Karla Sarah wrote: "WHUT? Rules like that are ensuring you'll feel romantical-deja-vu."

Excellent point, as Rachel can attest with much woeful experience. :D

Rachel (BAVR) Prepare for a long post. What I've recognized from The Infamous List thus far:

This book. Ugh. I had to take a break when the couple had sex before the 100-page mark. So that marks off notes 2 and 3 on her freaking list. D:

The love story is, unfortunately, the primary focus of this book, so #1's a go. The hero and heroine are together constantly, which covers #5, although I can't say this really enriches the story as much as it makes me want to stab them in their eyes for having no personality.

The pacing is shit, so I don't know how they got by #4. Apparently, all that matters is the pacing of the sexxors, in which case, there's another check off the list. There are no "time has passed" indicators, which this the list lady seems to despise in #6. I'm pissed about this because there's a lot of backstory that the characters simply allude to and never fully describe. A prologue or flashback sequence would actually work in this book.

All the space she devotes to complaining about series is super hypocritical. I've met the couple from the previous book, and a secondary couple has already emerged. I also feel like a lot of stuff happened in the last book that I need to know for this one.

God, I hope the consistent heat level she talks about in #11 doesn't hold true because the sex I just read was BORING. And then, of course, #12 proves that she would be intolerant of my literary masterpiece The Eunuch & the Pearl.

I don't know if I can finish this one. Nothing happens, but the prose is so goddamned pleased with its "cleverness." Fuck my life. I've read some really bad stuff (as you well know), and this one might end up a DNF. Oh, and you know how some authors like to write out an entire situation and then at the very end explain everything you just read? I swear that happens with 95% of the "jokes" in this.

I don't know if this one is worth the mental pain.

Rachel (BAVR) Sarah wrote: "Rachel (BAVR) wrote: "Bwahaha! Look at his hair. Are those highlights? "

message 13: by Karla (new)

Karla

Sad to think that the best part of this book would be the hero's brother getting a BJ on page 1.

Rachel (BAVR) I KNOW! When I bought it, I thought, "Well, the writing might not be the best, but at least it won't shy away from entertaining me with random WTF-ery." But now? No more BJs! I feel cheated.

(That image is mesmerizing, BTW. I love it.)

message 15: by Karla (new)

Karla I just came back from reading the few negative reviews on Amazon. Same gripes you have about it. But there are more raves than 3 & 1 star reviews.

This could well be a moment of truth for BAVR. Should she slog through the boring to write a snarky review? Methinks you should bail on this one. BORING = BAD

Rachel (BAVR) While the plot is boring, writing is godawful. I almost feel like I should read it to point out where the writing goes wrong, but then I'd actually have to read it. The sad thing is that Samantha Grace seems to have some wit, but the execution is piss-poor.

The negative reviews on Amazon are dead-on.

message 17: by Karla (new)

Karla What page are you on now? (No updates! Bad BAVR!)

Rachel (BAVR) Bah, it isn't worth the updates. :D

96 of 296 (ebook version). The main characters just had sex in the breakfast room, on the breakfast table. I will NOT be breaking my fast at Lady Amelia's residence in the future.

message 19: by Karla (new)

Karla It's always awkward when you have scrambled eggs in your butt crack.

Ugh, only 32% in? Not worth it!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rachel (BAVR) wrote: "A time-traveling hero in a Regency? I LOVE IT! The heroine could be the spirited daughter of a duke who REFUSES to marry without love. She's also a secret scientist. But how can she marry when the man she loves has to return to the year 2045 in his space shuttle? "

Hahahaha. The sad thing is that this stuff is just as good, if not HEAPS BETTER, than a lot of self-pub'd romance ebooks. You've got a career in the wings, methinks.

message 21: by Sarah (last edited Jul 13, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

Sarah And I agree. You need a bucket, my friend -- it's time to bail.

Rachel (BAVR) Sarah wrote: "You've got a career in the wings, methinks."

Oh, I hope! But if it happens, god help us all. O.O

Karla and Sarah, I'm taking your advice and DNF-ing this one for now. BAVR has to store up her strength for the ST Buddy Square and Karla's box of rejects that she thinks can only be consumed by a velociraptor.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I can't wait for our epic ST Buddy Square. :D Think any of us will end up defriended??

Rachel (BAVR) Sarah wrote: "I can't wait for our epic ST Buddy Square. :D Think any of us will end up defriended??"

Oh, I doubt it. I think the ST Buddy Square will bring us closer together with all of the shared angst. :D

message 25: by Sarah (last edited Jul 16, 2012 01:16AM) (new)

Sarah We'll have to make popcorn & s'mores. Or maybe buy some big bottles of vodka.

p.s. His At Night has been moved into my bedroom pile o' books...ready & waiting for the ST Buddy Square this autumn. :D

message 26: by Karla (new)

Karla So how's this one coming along?? >:-)

Rachel (BAVR) BAVR's pride prevents me from shelving this as a DNF, but I just can't make myself read another page.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah But...but...the surfer-regency dude compells your attention!