Janice's Reviews > Glamorous Illusions

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Aug 04, 12

Read from July 11 to 15, 2012

I received this book from Bookreporter.com in a free drawing, from their Historical Fiction division. The book is set is 1913 in Montana, where Cora Diehl and her family have farmed, barely scraping by for many years. Now Cora has completed her first year in Normal School, with dreams of becoming a teacher. Her life is suddenly turned upside down, when her father is stricken with a sudden illness, and Cora's beliefs about her self and her family are assaulted by new information about her heritage. Instead of helping out with the farm, Cora is whisked away for a Grand Tour, a practice among wealthy Americans of that time to send their young adults for a tour of the great cities of Europe, accompanied by well chosen chaperons. This book tells the story of that journey,as well as Cora's quest to come to terms with all she has learned, and the family she has gained. Although tagged as Historical Fiction, this book could also be categorized as Christian Fiction, as Cora's faith plays a significant part in her struggles.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamorous Illusions.

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura deLuna how significant are we talking? I don't fancy being preached at.

Janice I don't remember feeling preached at, i would find that very unwelcome as well. As I recall, it was more a matter of Cora turning to her faith, and her belief that God would help her, when she encountered situations that were difficult for her.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura deLuna so basically its just a historically accurate representation of a moderately religious person?

Janice Yes, I think that would be an accurate description.