Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)'s Reviews > The Great Escape

The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jul 25, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, e-books, contemporary-romance, romance
Read from July 11 to 12, 2012

A solid 3.5 star read. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and round up. I liked that it tied up the loose ends of Irresistible. I liked that it put a capstone on the series and SEP can move on to new ground. Most of all, I liked that it took two headstrong characters and put them together no matter how much they tried to fight it. I can't decide if I liked Toby or not though. I did like the Big Mike back story and personal redemption. I liked Panda's struggle with temptation in the first third of the book. I liked it even more when Lucy unloaded on him for his actions.

Normally SEP tears a heroine down until she is absolutely at rock bottom before building her up again. She makes us hate the heroine before we grow to like her. I think the lack of suffering, or even real adversity for the heroine has turned some off to this book. At no point did I feel Lucy was ever really 'down'. Lucy always had an out. She could end any discomfort at any time. When Rachel Stone dropped her clothes to sell her body to Gabe in Dread a Little Dream, THAT was hitting rock bottom. In comparison, Lucy's self imposed exile doesn't count as suffering.

The only character I didn't really care for was the Jillian Michaels clone. I like the Max storyline, I just didn't like the character.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Escape.