Rachel's Reviews > Grasping at Eternity

Grasping at Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper

Jul 18, 12

Read from July 11 to 15, 2012

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars ;D

Hands down, this book has one of the best concepts around. The synopsis draws you in immediately and you can't help but marvel at something that appears to be so unique and promising. And that's exactly what Grasping at Eternity was. I adored it!

Reincarnation isn't used that often in the YA genre so I was really excited about that prospect of it all. Weren't you even the slightest bit intrigued when you read the blurb? I should think so! Overall I loved the storyline (as well as the sub-plots!) and was always on the edge of my seat whenever Maryah came close to the truth. And I was constantly hoping she would remember how much Nathan had meant to her in past lifetimes. But of course the author kept us waiting and hoping and anticipating!

The book was split up into two points of view. Maryah's and Nathan's. I settled into this pretty quickly and quite liked seeing their different outlooks and opinions. I easily empathised with Nathan because he was constantly in agony when he was around Maryah. He loved her but she didn't remember anything about him. You could really see how it affected him deeply. They were both really great main characters to get along with and I loved them. They were both strong and brave and you could tell straight away that they were meant for each other. You were just constantly hoping Maryah would remember him. Warning: You may want to shake her if you read this! ;) There were also some other great characters! This book had such a vast variety of contrasting personalities I couldn't help but admire and love each and every one of them! Even the evil villians were very well-developed!

For the most part I was ready to give this book four stars. But that was before the ending completely blew me away. It was just brimming with suspense and tension... and everything just fell into place wonderfully! Things just clicked. But not everything, of course. There is definitely some questions that need to be answered in the next book! And I really want to see what happens to Maryah and Nathan! If I were to be very picky with the criticism side of things, then I would have to say that I was sometimes lost by who was who. There were a lot of people mentioned (let's just say Maryah and Nathan are part of a BIG kindrily)! But that didn't really affect anything too much!

Overall, I loved Grasping at Eternity with it's tension and suspense-filled plotline, loveable characters and on-the-edge-of-your-seat mystery. I really can't wait for book two, Taking Back Forever so I can get some answers! I defintely recommend everyone to check this book out - you don't know what you're missing! :D
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grasping at Eternity.

Karen Thanks so much, Rachel! So glad you enjoyed GAE. :)