Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)'s Reviews > Beguiling the Beauty

Beguiling the Beauty by Sherry Thomas

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, historical-romance, e-books, romance
Read in July, 2012

*Note: Since this is a book club read, I don't want to give any particulars in the review as I don't want to influence other book club members with my review but I'll speak in generalities and maybe will come back and update after our book club discussion.*

As I have commented many times in the past 'I HATE HISTORICALS'. And yet every year I end up reading a couple for one reason or other. In this case, it is the book club pick for a group of friends. And here's the thing - I didn't HATE it. I didn't love it, but the absence of hate is significant.

My biggest problems with historicals is that the women are always weak and they are often filled with rapes, blackmail, and coercion. If a dude says in chapter 3, 'Remove thy clothing and pleasure me or I shall send your father to prison and turn your mother out to the streets' and yet somehow the chick is all 'Oh I love him!' by chapter 6 I have a serious problem with this. And yet in this book there is virtually none of that. There's a cool scene in this book where the couple is about to have sex for the first time and she asks what he will do if she changes her mind. The hero says he will be sad but will let her go. After some more heavy petting she asks the same question and he says something about being crushed in spirit but will let her go. Even when they are actually having sex she asks him the same question and he says something about how he will weep uncontrollably but will still let her go. No question of coercion or anything untoward.

I loved the paleontological aspect of the book. I liked that the heroine was intelligent and well educated. I can even say I liked more about this book than I disliked. Maybe I just have to make sure I don't read any more Regency era historicals and I'll be happier. So while I may not be rushing out to get the next in this series, I'll likely end up reading it for my own enjoyment and not because I had to for a book club.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beguiling the Beauty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (last edited Aug 07, 2012 12:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

new_user I liked that scene too for the same reason. She tends to empower her heroes and heroines and in believable, natural fashion for the period (or even for our day, since unfortunately you won't see a hero in a contemporary saying something as mature as that, LOL.) Same with her interests, education, etc. Progressive for the period. I like Thomas' choices. Glad to see she redeemed HR. Read her (except for His at Night, universally disliked because of the cliché jerky male lead) and Joanna Bourne.