Jill Marie Swanson's Reviews > The Secret of Ravelston

The Secret of Ravelston by Sergio Silveira

Jan 11, 15

bookshelves: arc-or-review-copy, young-adult, on-the-blog, self-published, historical
Read from July 11 to 17, 2012

My full review is up on my blog.

Sergio Silveira is a promising self published author. Often, self published authors are over looked and I am glad I had the chance to read The Secret of Ravelston. Historical fictions are not something I usually pick up, but this story had an unusual premise that sparked my interest.
I rather enjoyed the historical setting of this novel and it will definitely compel me to read more like it.
Sergio's writing style is original and very fitting for the time period he is aiming to portray.
I really loved the mystery aspect of this story, and it was this that really drew me in. However, the mystery itself was a little slow to develop and I found my self practically begging the pages to shed light on what Jane was experiencing. The story did deliver, but not until the end of the novel.
The ending itself was fantastic. The secret of the town and the twist it brought with it was worth the wait.
Sergio has a great way with imagery and succeeded in bringing the town of Ravelston to life.
Jane is a wonderful main character and her atypical behavior for a lady of her time was most enjoyable.
She was intensely determined to keep digging, even when the odds were against her. Her attitude and drive really kept the story going.
I do wish Lord Andrew's character was a bit more prominent through out the story. He is, after all, the key to the mystery and I felt his character warranted more face time.
Sergio has managed to bring some humour into the drama and suspense, which at times really lightened the mood. The banter of the Lords and Ladies was comical and gave some great insight into the social structure of the 1800's.
Overall, The Secret of Ravelston was a delightful read and I would recommend it to historical fiction fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Ravelston.

07/17/2012 page 100