Shanna's Reviews > A Witch in Winter

A Witch in Winter by Ruth Warburton

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: january-2012, witches-magic-warlocks
Read on July 11, 2012

I wanted to love this book. It was recommended to me by a friend who insisted that I would love it because it was original, well-researched and stayed true to the beliefs of witchcraft.

So, let me tell you now that it was not.

It was not original. I found quite a few similarities between this book and The Craft movie, as well as The Secret Circle by L.J.Smith.

Then we have the instant love recipe which is really getting on my nerves. Seriously they were confessing their love for each other in like the first 30 pages. Of course let's not forget the single, clueless parent element. What else...oh, the fact that our heroine thinks herself to be too boring and ordinary and plain to warant the attention of the great catch that is our hero. I could go on and on about the shallow relationships and how everyone is just willing to sacrifice everything for one another even though they have just met, but that would take too long and, really, there's no point.

So, on to the witchcraft part. I don't know what my friend considers the beliefs of witchcraft to be, but this was far, far from any belief I've heard about. Just because you put a few sentences in a book, that have some seed of truth in them, doesn't mean that it instantly turns the book into a well-researched one.

And last but not least, Anna and her power. She has no idea she is a witch. And suddenly the moment she finds a spell she becomes this extremely powerfull, super-witch or something. It is obvious in the book that flares of magic occur around her when she experiences strong emotions (i.e. the wind picks up, freak storms etc.). And my question is this; did she have to meet Seth to experience strong emotions? She hadn't gotten angry before or sad or desperate or happy or anything? No...?nothing? Really?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Witch in Winter.

07/11/2012 page 101
29.0% "Just once I'd like for the heroine to not be so stupid and clueless. Is that too much to ask for?"