Erica's Reviews > The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief

The Language of God by Francis S. Collins

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, christian
Read from July 11 to August 03, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of God.

Quotes Erica Liked

Francis S. Collins
“Will we turn our backs on science because it is perceived as a threat to God, abandoning all the promise of advancing our understanding of nature and applying that to the alleviation of suffering and the betterment of humankind? Alternatively, will we turn our backs on faith, concluding that science has rendered the spiritual life no longer necessary, and that traditional religious symbols can now be replaced by engravings of the double helix on our alters?

Both of these choices are profoundly dangerous. Both deny truth. Both will diminish the nobility of humankind. Both will be devastating to our future. And both are unnecessary. The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome. He can be worshipped in the cathedral or in the laboratory. His creation is majestic, awesome, intricate and beautiful - and it cannot be at war with itself. Only we imperfect humans can start such battles. And only we can end them.”
Francis S. Collins, The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief

07/11/2012 page 12