Julia's Reviews > Puberty Blues

Puberty Blues by Kathy Lette

Jul 11, 12

Read in July, 2012

I first read this book when I was a young teenager and I remember it being a huge book, a big story and the thing I took away from it was the drugs rather than the sex... not sure why that was, maybe more freaked out by heroin that boys. I also read Christiana F and another diary-type book about heroin addiction around the same time, add in a dose of AIDS related propaganda advertising and I was NEVER going to be a smackie!! I think rereading this as an adult (without children), it almost a memoir, although I never got into the back of cars or shot up heroin, I do remember. Remember being a teenager and being obsessed with boys, smoking under the underpass and sneaking out. We always told our parents we were going to Rhonda's house because Rhonda's Mum didn't have a phone so we were basically free for the day and no one knew where we were from sunup to sundown. Puberty Blues is not high literature by any means but like reading your own childhood diary again, the language you use and what was desperately important back then, upon reflection is funny and sad and nostalgic. I am not sure how the TV series is going to go(the real reason I revisited this book) - the fact that this is a true story and that the girls were only 13 (!) when all this was happening may be too confronting for a joe-schmo audience. I imagine being a parent and rereading it, you would never let your daughters out!!!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Puberty Blues.

message 1: by Kira (new)

Kira Hanson Would be interested to hear what you thought, this was my era, pathetic as it was lol. Not what I'd call a well written book but many seem to relate to it. Odd that it's now become a tv series...wondering how kids these days will relate.

Julia Kira wrote: "Would be interested to hear what you thought, this was my era, pathetic as it was lol. Not what I'd call a well written book but many seem to relate to it. Odd that it's now become a tv series......"

message 3: by Kira (new)

Kira Hanson Very poignant Julia...well said!