Audrey's Reviews > Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom

Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom by Emily Franklin

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: library, humor, romance, ya
Read from July 10 to 13, 2012

I loved what this book was about -- even though it ended up not completely being about what I thought it was going to be about. It's written from alternating perspectives, and I think Halpern's character Luke had the stronger chapters. There was just something about Franklin's writing and Tessa's character that didn't click with me. Tessa came more to life through Luke's description of her than she did through her own thoughts and actions.

In the end, although it still is the story of Tessa's struggle to just be her own person and enjoy prom like any other teenager, regardless of her sexual orientation, the book really ended up being more about how Tessa's best friend deals with this entire situation -- and that's what I really liked. There have been lots and lots of coming out stories, and while this one was timely in a "ripped-from-the-headlines" sense regarding the prom issue, the coming out part didn't really cover new ground. But Luke's struggles were realistic and didn't feel like something I'd read so many times before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tessa Masterson Will Go to Prom.