Tracy's Reviews > Moon Called

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Jul 13, 12

Read from July 10 to 13, 2012

I don't know what's up with my inability to get into urban fantasy. Maybe I loved Buffy too hard as a kid and no other series can ever compete. Maybe seeing the goofy sexed-up covers gets my brain ready to hate things. But I think the main problem is that every time I decide to try again with a popular book, it hits all the tropes I was hoping it wouldn't.

There's nothing here that's extra-annoying, (aside from the fact that the characters are too polite to curse but they make a huge deal about it every time they almost curse) but there was also nothing I liked. It's just bland, too much exposition, no fresh interpretation of the creatures/magic, no characters I cared about, nothing enjoyable about the style. Maybe if you're really into werewolves you'll find the pack politics exciting, but for me the tension never built to a point where I felt invested in the story.

I'm sure this is one of those "it's not you, it's me" type things, especially since I don't read enough urban fantasy to know if this is better or worse than other popular series. But I'd still be hesitant to recommend this to someone who's hoping to ignite an interest in the genre.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.