Marina's Reviews > Justine

Justine by Lawrence Durrell

Jan 24, 09

bookshelves: fiction, joshua, author-male
Read in January, 2009

This started off good, the writing was great and you felt like he might try and do something with the story. I never really found myself put off by the mess of language, and the handful of allusions and direct quotes. The narrator being himself a writer surrounded by other creative and well educated types, and really it never felt pretentious for the sake of it. Slowly though, I found myself ill at ease more and more.

The feelings Durrell expresses are more then a little confused, especially the notion of the adulterer using the lover as a substitute, as some sort of go between with getting closer to the person they are cheating on. He gives a picture of women about as bland as they come: "like woman who think by biological precept and without help of reason,"(144) seemed to be one of his tenets of female behavior as well as this doozy:

"She was a walking abstract of the writers and thinkers whom she had loved or admired-- but what clever woman is more?"(203)

No thanks Mr.D. That coupled with some sort of latent undercurrent of racism and anti-semitism lurks in the background of a plotless though well written book. It was too bad to see such prose mangled by the ideas it tried to convey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justine.