Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)'s Reviews > What I Didn't Say

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

Jul 12, 12

liked it
Read from July 10 to 12, 2012

Wow, I am on a roll with good contemporaries this month. This one is really an eye opener about being grateful for what you have, especially a loving family, because no matter how bad things might be for you, there is someone else who wishes that they had your life.
It was quite a ride to be in Jake's head. It has so be so frustrating to all of the sudden be mute, and have things you want to say, but can't. Sure he can write things down, but I honestly can't imagine.
The dynamic between Jake and Sam was so very well written. I loved their interactions, and often wondered about Samantha's motivations, and when I found out, it was totally heartbreaking and unexpected. As much as I can't imagine being in Jake's shoes, hers is so unthinkable. The sweetest part of the story is really watching them lift each other up, and seeing their selflessness (for the most part anyways) when it comes to the other.
The connection with Jake and his family is really well written. I could totally see myself wanting to call his mom "mom" right along with the rest of the island. His brothers and sisters showed such support while at the same time being realistic, teasing, joking and sometimes too much in his business.
It was also neat to read about the Island culture, small town and even more. I think that she did a good job explaining how it was different, and showing the sense of togetherness while still having it believable.
I liked the ending, how it tied things together, and I can't really think of how I'd want their story to end any differently.

For more of my reviews, check out Blkosiner’s YA and Teen Book Blog: http://blkosiner.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Didn't Say.