Jolie's Reviews > Real Murders

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Oct 30, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-thriller

Once again, I'm choosing the first title in a series to stand for all the books I've read...mostly because I'm lazy. This is one of Charlaine Harris' early series--before the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire books that are making her a well-know name. They were out of print, but are s-l-o-w-l-y being re-published.

The currently released ones are, in order:

Real Murders
A Bone to Pick
Three Bedrooms, One Corpse
The Julius House
Dead Over Heels

There are three others yet to come (oddly enough, I own one of them that I've never read--when I discovered it was seventh in a series, I couldn't bring myself to read it. I guess that makes me both lazy and obsessive.)

Anyway, I've just finished the ones above (because I'm currently on a mystery kick--I find myself in the mood to pull my old Agatha Christie books out of their box and dust them off...). This series is told from the point of view of Aurora Teagarden (whose unfortunate name appears to be punishment from a mother who was named Aida...you'd think she would have known better), a librarian who loves mysteries--both real and fictional, and of course finds herself immersed in her own. I feel some kinship to her--although, at 5'1 1/2" I would tower over her 4'11"--it is nice to read about a short heroine. Not many of them out there.

A fun series with characters that develop over time and mysteries that are mildly puzzling, but not too tense to read before bed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Murders.