Tamra's Reviews > Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Oct 30, 08

Recommended for: classic nuts
Read in June, 2006, read count: 1

There can not be many classics WORSE than this book. It might be decently written. And it might be a classic. For that I'll give it 2 stars instead of 1. But it's boring! I really don't know why this is a classic.

But you won't waste much time reading it. It'll take you 3 hours to read it, tops. This isn't really a book but more of a pamphlet.

HOW TO WRITE YOUR OWN ROBINSON CRUSOE:
#1 Create the start of a plot line that sounds very interesting. For instance, a man being marooned on an island and having to struggle for survival.
#2 Think of descriptive sentences. "His hair was long and coarse from a diet consisting mainly of cheese and pine nuts." Then cram a bunch of those together in an unsatisfying way: "The cheese came from the goats that he had learned over time to domesticate and keep in a small pin which was left alone except when the tiger came to prowl. He gathered the pine nuts from a tree that he had to examine to make sure wasn't poisonous first. He only did a half decent job at the inspection as he suffered from severe bloating as a reaction to the nuts. Later he found trees that would serve better as a main nutritional suplement."
#3 Let the reader keep thinking that you will develop the interesting plot line.
#4 End the book without developing a plot line at all, but keeping it sufficiently short and resolved enough that the reader won't all-together care.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robinson Crusoe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie #2 is exactly what I liked about this book. =)

Tamra I liked the descriptions, too. I just kept thinking, "So, why do I care? And are you GOING somewhere with this?" The lack of a plot line is really what got me, in the end.

message 3: by Gen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gen another hilarious point of view on this book. #3 is so awfully true it hurts. yet i found 'robinson crusoe' compelling and utterly fascinating, that the language is so modern and accessible to readers 300 or so years later, (this strikes me as odd - i don't know why) that i forgive the first few boring chapters. liking robinson was less important for me to like the book, i don't need to like the character at all, and when i found him bearable was when i found strength from his beliefs, such as feeling joyful anyway despite circumstances. anything has to be better than being on an island, obviously.

here is my poem inspired by the novel:

calling, lonely on the sea
the ocean waves crashing
calling out to me
in the strangest way i hear you
the strangest sound of all
for though i feel the cool breeze
there is no ocean near here at all

the tumbling and the churning
of every ocean wave
to the lonely black depths
a cold ocean grave
i can here you, all alone
lonely, as perhaps, am i

cold grey skies
blurry distance
wind blows, blows
why?

Tamra I actually read a book recently that mentioned Defoe and his place in literary history, and it gave me a new appreciation for this book (or, rather, an appreciation of it in the first place). The language is pretty modern--this could have been written in the 1950's. The fact that it has had such staying power is pretty remarkable.

And feeling joyful despite circumstances certainly is a wonderful lesson. If I had felt emotionally connected to Crusoe AT ALL during the book, I'm sure I would have noticed that was one of the lessons of the book. :)

Peter i think you perhaps read the abridged version

Tamra Peter, I've wondered that myself. The book I read didn't say abridged on it anywhere. However, with as much as I really didn't like it, and with all the other books in the world, I'm not likely to try to find another copy and potentially read more.