Jess (Gone with the Words)'s Reviews > Unravel Me

Feb 06, 13

bookshelves: read-2012, young-adult
Read from October 03 to 06, 2012, read count: 1

So, FINALLY! Read this review on my blog! --> Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

(This totally contains spoilers to Shatter Me. You’ve been warned.)

Where to even begin?!

Unravel Me was the type of sequel that we hope for in every series. It’s exciting, it’s captivating, it’s all-encompassing. It takes you in from the first few words and doesn’t let you go until the very last page.

I’m not sure what I was expecting from Juliette in Unravel Me, but she stayed true to herself, if maybe a little down on herself, all the while still learning more and more about herself and her abilities. I was glad she didn’t all of a sudden turn into a kick-ass machine though. She makes such believable progress in a really well-paced manner. Her development didn’t feel rushed and it still left room for even more discoveries in the future. I must admit that the ability I want her to develop most right now is the one where she learns to turn off her Energy at will...obviously for selfish reasons having to do with a certain boy in this book. It just MUST happen!

Speaking of boys...in Shatter Me , I unquestionably fell in love with Adam, and Warner intrigued me, oh, so much. After reading Unravel Me, I’m finding it hard to keep my heart out of Warner’s grip. He is such a surprise in this book. He floored me. He was open and raw and intense and tender...he certainly is too much, and he won’t let you not see him as a contender for Juliette’s heart. But, with all that said...I’m still in love with my first love, Adam. I find it incredible that Tahereh has created these two guys so opposite, yet with so much in common, that she made it impossible to find a definite side for me to be on. I think I will take whatever happens in book 3 in stride though.

I can’t write this review without mentioning the awesomeness that is Kenji. He really shines in this book. We get to know him so much better and in the process he stole my heart. He becomes one of Juliette’s closest friend, which was really interesting. Kenji somehow was able to be the voice of the reader in this book. The things we sometimes want to scream at the characters because they can’t get over themselves, or their being idiots…Kenji voiced all those things for us. Whether it was at a moment where too much mushiness was happening or when we just wanted to shake Juliette. So, thank you, Kenji...and Tahereh. :)

Maybe the biggest shock and twist in this book comes with the appearance of Supreme Commander Anderson, also known as Warner’s father. He really is a horrendous character. While in Warner as a villain I was able to glimpse at moments of humanity, enough to feel some empathy for him, in Anderson, there’s just evil. There’s nothing redeemable in him. He’s detestable. Yuck. And, hey, look! We have a clear villain now!

I was happy to see the other gifted characters come into play. I loved learning about everyone and what they could do. I am worried that they won’t be able to fight off The Reestablishment though. While I want it to be like a huge X-Men battle, I think it’s really going to come down to Juliette. The anticipation for the final book in this series might kill me...but I hope not, because I really would rather be alive to read it. :D
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

10/03/2012 page 113
24.0% "Those last 20 pgs just about killed me."
10/05/2012 page 151
32.0% "I love Kenji so hard right know."
10/06/2012 page 165
35.0% "Too early to be this brokenhearted and crying. :'("
10/06/2012 page 250
53.0% "Holy fan-freaking-TASTIC twist, yo!!!" 1 comment
10/06/2012 page 398
85.0% "Holy shit, I am dying at the hotness of this moment. DYING!!"
10/06/2012 page 465
100.0% "I've royally screwed myself by reading this book so early. It's going to be a long wait for book 3."

Miss Page Turner OHH I want to read it so badly! It's going to be a a long wait till February! sigh

message 2: by Kia (new)

Kia Garriques We will continue to wait in suspense, Jess!

Jess (Gone with the Words) I kind of wish I would have waited...the wait for book 3 will KILL ME! Your wait will be a little shorter than mine.

Cookie KILL ME could be a befitting title for book three.