Tom's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Jul 10, 12

Read from July 10 to 15, 2012

I'm going to rant about this book a bit, but stick with me, because in the end it turns out I kinda liked it... but only in the end.

It's interesting to read the three novels in this series just to observe the female approach to a “heroic adventure novel”. Yes we have a female protagonist, but this entire story is also told from the female perspective. And I have to say, it’s just … weird.

In this volume, we have Katniss underground for most of the story, complaining about the food (but claiming how lucky she is to have it), her sister’s cat (who absolutely hates her and might be the only character in this book with the right attitude), making lots of observations on her “Mockingjay” outfit (the piping! the sleeves!), describing the 'hideous scar' on her forearm (left from a tracking device, which probably is about the size of a quarter) and generally being annoying to me... but being totally amazing, awesome and courageous to everyone else in the story! She’s an inspiration for a revolution, no less!

Why does this President Snow (bad guy) or anybody else in this universe give a rip about what Katniss says or does as she mopes around underground? She just seems like an irritating whiner to me. Most of what happens in the first 3/4 this story is Katniss hearing about it from another character or WATCHING IT ON TV FOR GOD’S SAKE. A book about a girl watching TV and then telling us how she feels... Hoo Boy! That’s high adventure!

Oh, and the quote "it's amazing what a good stylist can do!" in reference to smuggling wartime rebels out of a basement into enemy territory... sheesh, what an eye roller. One of many.

But then in the very last 1/4 of the book, things start to happen. For me, that's where the bulk of this 3rd volume's story should have existed. All those pages wasted moping around when the real action is glossed over and summed up in about 20 or 30 pages.

Just when I start to find our main character interesting, the show's over. I was convinced the author was going to take a cheap way out and give Katniss a fairy tale ending, but she surprised me. Things wrap up in an interesting and authentic feeling way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.